Festivals of Daegu
Colorful city - Daegu features various festivals all year round. Join and enjoy any of the festivals on the list. these festivals will present the best cultural experience of Daegu.
- Palgong Mountain Cherry Blossom Festival
- Palgong Mountain is known for its cherry blossoms and different types of festivals. Enjoy the comforting scenery as you drive down the cherry blossom–lined roads.
- Daegu Dalgubeol Lantern Festival
- Korea’s first lantern festival dates back to the Silla Dynasty (57 BC–AD 935). The festival was first held in Dalgubeol, now known as Daegu, in 1967. Every May, the festival creates a spectacular scene as hundreds of lanterns soar into the sky.
- Daegu Colorful Festival
- No other event highlights Daegu’s diversity more than the Daegu Colorful Festival. Various different street performances are held across Daegu, such as in 2.28 Central Memorial Park and Gukchaebosang Memorial Park. The festival’s yearly highlight is the Colorful Parade, where participants show off dance routines, give musical performances, and present performance art.
- Daegu Yangnyeongsi Herbal Medicine Festival
- The Daegu Yangnyeongsi Herbal Medicine Festival takes place in early May in the Yakjeon Alley region. It celebrates traditional eastern medicine through various herbal medicine–related events and is a cultural tourism hub. The widely known festival’s goal is to deepen understanding of eastern medicine both locally and abroad.
- Daegu International Musical Festival (DIMF)
- First held in 2007, the Daegu International Musical Festival was established by the Daegu City Government to promote musicals in the city. The organizers carefully select international and domestic musicals to perform, and the event itself plays a key role in developing musical talent through the DIMF Musical Seed initiative by hosting the University Musical Festival. During the festival, the audiences get to watch renowned and creative musicals at very good prices.
- Daegu Chimac Festival
Since its opening in 2013, the Chimaek Festival has become one of Daegu’s most popular festivals. Held in Duryu Park, the event hosts over 100 domestic and international fried chicken and beer companies, who give away free chimaek (deep fried chicken and beer). There are also various programs for visitors to participate in, a Chimaek Ice Café, and a water play area.
- Daegu International Body Painting Festival
The Daegu International Body Painting Festival is one of the city’s most iconic summer festivals and is especially popular among domestic and international tourists. Throughout the event, over 150 of the world’s best body painting artists and models show off their abilities to use the human body as a canvas and turn it into a work of art. The festival also offers a program, Be the Artist, for visitors to try body painting
- Daegu International Opera Festival
The Daegu International Opera Festival is held every September, in commemoration of the Daegu Opera House’s opening. Making the most of abundant local musical talent, the festival takes Korea’s domestic opera to a whole new level. Every year, it hosts renowned international operas and provides visitors with the rare opportunity to see world-class performances in Daegu.
- Suseong Lake Festival
During the day, various street art plays and high-quality busking performances are held along the lakeside. At night, citizens can participate in themed performances and watch the daily fireworks shows over the Suseong Lake.
Learn more about the festivals of Daegu?
- Daegu Tourist InformationLink